Monday, January 26, 2009

Do not disturb!!


The pediatrician has told us several times, "You just have to realize that you have a VERY spirited child", which in laymen's terms means "Good luck on trying to control her". Bella has kept us on our toes since she arrived in our home. She never ceases to amaze me with her determination and physical strength. As she gets older it is more difficult to coerce her into doing what I want her to do :). I know all you moms are saying "welcome to my world". I thought I had enough biceps strength to man handle a 21 month old, but that thought is dwindling.

She is getting cuter and bigger everyday and sometimes it is hard to remember what she was like as a baby...then we were quickly reminded by the three hour awakenings happening again!!

Bella found a new sense of freedom when she started crawling out of her crib and pack n' play in Utah. It continued on when we got back to Dallas and so we decided it was time to convert her crib to a bed. Nobody ever told me how difficult that transition could be. Bella decided that she could get up whenever she wanted whether it be at midnight, 2 a.m., 3 a.m., 4:30 a.m., and finally the real wake up at 5:30 a.m. She was literally getting out of her bed 4 times a night and then would do the toddler run to our bedroom (loud enough to get the cops and apartment management called on us).

So we decided to try a new game plan. There was a "fairy" toddler bed at Babies 'R Us that she really liked so we thought we'd give it a try. She was very excited as we assembled it, which was entertainment in itself. I'm happy to report that she is mostly just waking up at the 5:30 am time. Though she wakes at 5:30 we are often able to get her to sleep another hour or two by walking her back to her room. She definitely loves her "big girl bed"!

I have attached some pictures from our family photo shoot. I think the pictures really capture the essence of Bella :). There is also a video of Bella singing some of her favorite songs. She has fallen in love with the video and song "Frosty the Snowman". I know that we will be watching this video all year round. I hope all is well with all of you!



11 comments:

The Dorny Family said...

Bella is growing up! I love the toddler bed...and I say WHATEVER keeps them in their own beds at night is worth it. I just need to find something motivating enough for my own kids.

Hey, how are things on the job front?

Russ and Megan said...

Great thinking Kelly! I'm glad you guys figured something out! Her new big girl bed is soo cute! What girl wouldn't love it. :) I'm glad your nights are going a little better!

The Martone Memories said...

Haha, we sing Christmas songs all year round too. It drives me nuts. Presley stops singing them around October just to start again in November. Good luck with the bedtime thing.

Amy said...

Glad to hear that she is staying in her new awesome bed! I know how much her Mom likes her sleep, so here's to hoping she stays in it!

Katie said...

That is such a cute bed! Im sorry to hear the transitions didnt go so well. Ella is in her big girl bed and seems to be doing okay with it, though she wakes up screaming "where my binky go", which kinda gets annoying. Hope she continues to stay where she should at night!

¨*:·.TIFF.·:*¨ said...

I am totally dealing with that SAME issue. I have debated on getting her a bed because I know she would be in and out of that thing all night. Bella looks like she is in heaven though.
I love reading your blog. It always makes me feel better. Bella and Sophia are two peas in a pod! I would love for them to play sometime. (are you going to move back here????)

Susanne said...

Oh my gosh! How cute!!! Just be careful about encouraging talking. Once it starts it never STOPS!!!! Soon she will be telling you you are "wasting her time"!!!!

Stevens Family said...

I'm so sorry Kelly. Austin was like that when he was little. He could climb out of his crib at 16 months, and after that - no nap time. But at least you got to buy that cute bed, and it will get better.

Trisha said...

Love the bed. Whatever works right? Have you decided where you are going to live yet?

Bodie_Millie_McKenzie said...

She is so big!! I love her bed. Good thing you are no longer getting woken up 4 times a night...I know how cranky you can get when you don't get enough sleep:)

Jaime said...

Oh my gosh! You have a reincarnation of Taylor on your hands!! She was so just like that! Before she could crawl out at 18 months she found out that vomiting also works to get you out of the crib. She woke up every hour until she was 2 and ending up letting her sleep on the couch for a whole year because that's the only place she'd sleep through the night. It wasn't until Kindergarten that she stopped getting up in the night! Oh how I had more I'll never know, but just to keep you going, she is now the best child anyone could EVER ask for...the biggest sweetheart, what a 180 that girl pulled! There's hope, I promise! hang in there!